An Affair in Red


Today's Hike
Spring seems to have arrived early for us in Niagara, usually February brings frigid temperatures and more snow. This year the smells and sounds of April have us flirt with the idea of 2012 being a fabulous year for grape growers. In the spirit of spring Aaron, my brother Dean, my friend Mel and I decided to hike a section of The Bruce Trail on the Niagara Escarpment behind the Niagara College Teaching Winery. It was a windy day but the sunny sky and warm temps made it easy to enjoy a very muddy hike. If you are a Niagara local and haven't been on this section of the Bruce, I highly recommend taking the time to check it out as it showcases great biodiversity close to home, and is very dog friendly.

Bruce Markings
Having such a great afternoon outside sparked our hunger for good food and great vino. We decided to make home made pizza and since Dean and Mel were visiting it was only suiting to open a bottle that had been hanging out on the rack for quite some time now. 


Tonight's Pour

I have come a long way since my first sip of red, and I suppose you could say I have been 
playing favourites for quite some time now. Malbec is not only a top pick of mine, but has recently become the pride and joy of Argentina as it has gained international recognition in wine communities all over the world. I must warn you, this post does not reflect local talent but the home-made pizza that was paired with the bottle was inspired by a visit to my favourite local grocer: Commisso's Fresh Foods.

Maipe Malbec 2009, Mendoza Argentina 


This delicious bottle is available in the vintages section at the LCBO for around $17. It was oak aged for 12 months and it could last up to 4 years in a cellar.

 But why do I love it so much? The smooth tannins, elegant mouthfeel, and blueberry notes make it so easy to enjoy. I can confidently say it is the best single varietal Malbec I have ever had, and I'm not the only one who thinks it's great as the bottle scored a 90 (erobertparker.com). 


The homemade pizza's were a perfect pair for the Malbec. Here is my recipe:

  • thick whole wheat pita
  • Sauce: tomato pure, crushed garlic, fresh basil, salt & pepper
  • julienned yellow pepper
  • roasted chinese eggplant (diced)
  • herbed goat cheese
  • fresh basil
Sauce the pita, throw on the yellow pepper, roasted eggplant, fresh basil, and dollop the goat cheese to your liking. Put in the oven (400F) until crisp. Pour a glass of Miape Reserve Malbec and enjoy your perfect pairing. 


Cheers Friends!











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Hardy Vegetarian

Not Your Average Christmas Ham