Happy New Year!



Hello 2012, hello good life. I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday season, mine was no short of greatness with many laughs, bottles of wine, and good home cooking. 

It all began on Christmas Eve, Aaron and I drove to London to see my Mom, Dad, and brother Dean. Last year Dad made for the first time, BBQ'd rack of lamb and we decided the lamb was so delish we had to do it again this year. I opened a Tempranillo Cabernet Sauvignon Blend from Spain, Dean joined for a couple glasses and then there was the end of the bottle. I decided to open another because Aaron was now on the wine train also. Thankfully we had been thirsty because the second bottle was a Pino Noir from France by Chanson Pere & Fils Le Bourgogne that hands down is one of the best pino's I have ever had. Unfortunately I didn't actually get a picture of the bottle, but I grabbed one off the web. The bottle was around $18 @ the LCBO so grab it and enjoy. 


Ahhh Christmas Day! Always a great time at the Junipers, and for Aaron it was a first with us. Coffee and Bailey's followed by Sparkling Mimosas and presents galore, only the build up to the holy Christmas Brunch that I long for year after year. Hash-brown casserole, broccoli salad, and eggs florentine... don't forget the Christmas crackers with the bad jokes and flattering crown!




It was hard to decide which bottle of red to open for Christmas dinner, seeing as 5 hours earlier I was given a bottle of Cakebread Cellars decadent Cabernet Sauvignon from Nappa Valley from Aaron...but that one will be saved for an extra special occasion at a later date! The decision was ultimately Chateau Pey La Tour 2008 Bordeaux Superieur, and it didn't disappoint. Definitely a decanter, and a mouthful of tannins with notes of cassis, mushroom and oak on the palate. A well priced Bordeaux blend for around $16, I suggest anyone to go out and buy a bottle or two and enjoy with game, or artisan cheese. 


Boxing day Aaron and I left London headed for Thornbury to visit his family. I didn't get many pictures but Courtney, Aaron's sister, made a delicious tourtiere I enjoyed with a cabernet sauvignon. The tourtiere was a first for me but the clove, cinnamon and all spice make for a very festive dish. Court also opened a bottle of Malbec from France that was very full bodied and delicious, by this time I started loosing count of all the good bottles we opened over the holidays!


Just like that it was all over, but New Years Eve creeped up and Aaron got sick. We decided to stay in and ring in the New Year together at home. So I made a very untraditional NYE dinner of homemade turkey and orzo soup, green salad with savoury vinaigrette, some nibbles and of course a bottle of sparkling. The local choice, Truis Brut. Oh, let's not forget about the Lindt Dark Chocolate dipped banana, pear, and pineapple. It's funny how we build up the holiday season, in November the anticipation brought on by the festive music, commercials, and scents make Christmas seem like a huge event. Then by NYE you wonder how it all happened so fast, again. 


2012 is now here and I'm back at the gym, gearing up for 2nd semester and already craving this years Christmas Day Brunch. 


Cheers Friends!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Hardy Vegetarian

Not Your Average Christmas Ham