A great Vintages find for our 5th wine of Christmas!

Not quite 5 golden rings, but the fact that the Tempranillo grapes which make up this bottle are from 80+ year old vines in Spain makes this wine unique and perfect for any red wine lover on your list!

VEGA MORAGONA VIÑAS VIEJAS 2007
Ribera del Jucar, Spain
$12.40 

This past weekend was my Grandma and Grandpa Juniper's 50th Wedding Anniversary! I wanted to bring a bottle I could enjoy with my brother Dean, who is a die hard Malbec fan. I am always trying to find a good bottle (other then a single varietal Malbec) that can live up to his standards. I came across this in the vintages, and was intrigued by the rich history of the vines. Tempranillo not often bottled as a stand alone, is the grape used in Rioja, Spain and is known for is rich flavours and dark ruby colour. 

Dean and I both enjoyed this wine, and with the great price point it makes it easy to buy without remorse! 

The nose was subtle with oak, and burned the nostrils, I guess that has something to do with the alc. content...a big 14%. The palate was full bodied with black fruit, tobacco, and dark chocolate notes. This would be great with lamb, or a prime rib roast you may have over the holidays.

Cheers Friends!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Your Average Christmas Ham

The Hardy Vegetarian